27 thoughts on “General debate, March 10, 2013

1. Isn’t it a shame that we have a heavily regulated law enforcement and criminal justice monopoly in New Zealand, that won’t allow the obvious to evolve?

2. “The minister responsible for the troubled Novopay teacher payroll system says there is a shortage of skilled people to help fix it. Minister Steven Joyce this morning said there was no shortage of money to throw at the problem, but he accepted staffing was an issue.”

Ho ho.

Yes, indeed. And why? Engineering, technology & software development graduates not being delivered in sufficient quantity/quality by glorious state education system.

They know best.

3. Andrew says “Isn’t it a shame that we have a heavily regulated education monopoly in New Zealand, that wont allow the obvious to evolve? ..”

Isn’t it a shame we have a militant teachers union determined to cost parents as much money and inconvenience as possible.

We have hundreds of parents who have to lose half a days pay or use up precious holiday leave because teachers refuse to have their union meeting at 4pm, and will close schools so they can have it in the middle of the day.

The comments about the teachers and union from the parents I’ve talked to, particularly the less well off, are not repeatable here.

4. Fiji. Time to take a leaf out of the Americans playbook. Regime change.

5. Sorry Andrew,
    I didn’t see your first post at all. Just followed a link that came to me in the email about General debate with no topics posted. Now it seems that you must have posted a little earlier than me but in the same minute.

Anyway on first impressions I really like the video as I personally could never learn in a classroom situation, and especially crap the state deemed relevant.

I do have some reservations about the lack of human contact with Internet learning, but on the other hand learning meaningless material in an environment unfriendly to your personal aspirations and temperament can be damright harmful.

All in all though, I believe this system would work really well for someone like me, especially if I could choose what I wanted to learn.

As for the video, I would like to see the guy speak a little slower but overall his integrity and the luminosity of the idea shone through and I feel the video would make a successful promotion for voting online to incorporate such a system, if it clearly addressed all the concerns of critics….and it sure seems to be going some way to doing that. I can clearly see how it gives so many more access to affordable education, which of course allows people more time and money to develop their personal lives.
    Cheers Tom

6. bj says “Just a few corporations control what you buy and eat and use… scary… ”

No. Not scary. Or even a little bit frightening in a very mild way.

I control what I buy.

I control what I eat.

I control what I use.

7. Tom:

Thanks. Online can morph with traditional classes as well, and no doubt would where appropriate. For example, for practical courses you would watch the video at home (like a cooking show), and then come to class for the practical work, etc. And you can organise private study groups that you work directly with…all with huge money savings and time efficiencies.

8. Ho ho.

Rubbish Arana.

Novopay issues (and the inability to resolve them) are related to poor management – overcommitment and under-delivery – by the vendor, not a skills shortage.

Talent2 sold a solution they couldn’t support.

There is no shortage of Oracle E-biz expertise in the market to develop Alesco (the platform NovoPay is constructed upon).

9. Joyce doesn’t lie. He tells untruths ie things that aren’t true. Quite different.

10. Lying is a strong word. He’s painting a rosy picture by not revealing pertinent facts.
    Obfuscation is a form of lying without being an outright falsehood.

11. I forgot to add, that if as Joyce states there is “no shortage of money” to resolve the issue then there is ipso facto no possibility of a resource shortage, as the potential resource pool is global.

It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with your preposterous idea that the problem resolution (i.e. finding E-biz experts who will respond to an open chequebook) is in any way, related to imagined deficiencies in the tertiary sector.

12. I actually teach a course fully online – it is brilliant for tertiary students and probably many secondary students as well, because it is highly text-based.

I agree that you’d really need face-to-face for many courses that have a practical component.

That said, young children need to be with other children and with adults not in front of a screen.

I’m not a fan of factory-type learning either – but primary schools are much more fun than that these days. Smaller groups would be better, but that requires more funding.

For the fortunate or dedicated few home-schooling is great – who will or can do that in these days of pressure to go and get a job?

13. Andrew: Some years ago I read of one prison where the guards turned a blind eye to all the dope smokers and they had very little problem with them. The prisoners who were the real problem were the piss freaks.

14. I am not necessarily saying that pot is a desirable thing for the wider community but it could have a sedating effect on otherwise quite violent crims.

15. Nor on profiteering by owners.

We aren’t of course, at war (except with ourselves) and the political support is thus limited… the ethical failing is however, quite clear.

“Making unreasonable profits from war is widely considered unethical and is deeply unpopular, so attempts to prohibit excessive war profiteering, such as the imposition of an excess profits tax, receive much political support in wartime. Defining ‘excessive’ accurately is difficult, however, and such legislation frequently allows some instances of profiteering to go unchecked while reducing the income of others’ war-related business to loss-making levels.”

Rationing would not work as there is not actually an adequate supply of housing in the first place, but the price gouging inherent in this move is a reckless undermining of the social contract in pursuit of monetary advantage.

We can do better. We’d better do better.

16. @Main-Concerns… short answer is “no”. You’re in the right place. You can email contact the party itself to notify, which would probably be wisest. Someone might well want to talk with him.

The ability to post further comments on this blog will return after the election.