Our new MPs’ maiden speeches

Our new MPs are gave their maiden speeches in the House today.

Links to transcripts are below. Videos will be posted as they are made available.

Mojo Mathers’ maiden speech – Read transcript

Watch video, including NZ Sign Language translation:

Eugenie Sage’s maiden speech – Read transcript

Watch video, including NZ Sign Language translation:

Holly Walker’s maiden speech – Read transcript

Watch video, including NZ Sign Language translation:

7 thoughts on “Our new MPs’ maiden speeches

1. If the average Maori earned more ($$) than the avergage white guy, then this special treatment introduction bulls**t for Maoridom, ahead of all the other ethnic groups in New Zealand, would look as sad and wrong as it really is.

ps: Thanks very much for posting these speeches.

2. I was particularily interested in Julie-Anne Genters speech:

Quote: “We will need to look past ideologies, and look past our prejudices”

I totally agree. And now Julie needs to do that with her current belief in transit-oriented development, which emerging automotive technology, alone, is rendering completely outdated.

Julie also made a point about reasoning in groups as opposed to individuals, as individuals can tend to only do “lawyer research” in that they seek out only the evidence that validates their prejudice…

That much is very true, but don’t forget that groups also have powerful weaknesses and collective biases. Collectively-reinforced nonsense is the easiest nonsense to believe, and often the hardest to oppose. So groups, also, need to be prepared to listen to the outsiders, as opposed to just demonising them so as to not listen at all (which is actually what cults do. They work on in-group isolation).

As for her revoltion to the Iraqi war: Wonderful! I hope she does everything she can to keep us out of the up-coming Iranian war (that we are all being primed for) too.

3. From an economic refugee on the other side of the world, my heart goes out to you all. What a wonderful group of new MPs. Even though the challenges are immense, you give me faith that the future can be better than the pitiful visions offered by so many of your fellow MPs. I am proud to have you represent us in Parliament. Regards to all. Ian Shearer

4. Relating to my unpopular first comment:

I know there are lots of Maori guys out there who share my sentiments. They don’t like being patronised with *special treatment* either.

5. It was great to listen to the new ‘crop’ of Green MPs; maiden speeches.

In recent times, several have have moved on & I feel sure these seven have taken the baton & are racing ahead to a ‘brighter, GREEN future’ Well Done

Kia-ora

6. As I said in another thread “Regarding Mojo Mathers, what I want to know is whther The Greens will now be agitating to ensure all MPs receive the advantage that Mojo has when speaking: silence.

Mathers has the advantage of not being able to be interupted, barracked, interjected, insulted or abused while speaking. On equity grounds, all MPs should receive this advantage.

I look forward to hearing Green agaitation for all MPs to be able to speak without hearing interuptions.”