Hot Ukrainian Husbands from Chernobyl?

Last week the media reported a “Radio Rock” promotion which involved winning “hot chicks” as wives. As Sue Bradford commented in the media, this is not an isolated incident. As a compassionate and forgiving feminist I thought I would run a parallel competition for all those women out there seeking a “hot husband” . We all know that “hot chicks” with a good sense of humour are just dying to be raffled, so there must be a business opportunity for a husband raffle. Let’s pick men from some part of the world we can call exotic and hopefully some desperate but compliant male refugees from “over there” will want to marry rich women here and do what they’re told. But I digress.

There is a trend out there called “laddism” which is actually old school sexism mutating as it does in many glorious forms. The Prime Minister is leading the way with his cosy chats with Tony Veitch. I am a great believer in second chances but Tony and his “hot chicks” list needs no encouragement, let alone from John Key. The counter attack on Sue Kedgely has been an illustration of ignorance and disrespect for women in general and for a particular woman whose leadership has changed this country for the better on many issues.

Another bizarre manifestation of“laddism” is the new police recruitment poster which targets young people hoping they will apply to join the force. It’s an advertising campaign that says things like “We’ve Got A lot in Common with Cougars We Like Em Young” . They have really multitasked with this effort by insulting older women and sounding predatory towards young flesh in one breath. A recent study stated that the police culture in this country has a way to go in terms of restoring women’s confidence after the Rickards affair. This new messaging is a huge step backwards!

The Facebook campaign against the “Radio Rock” wife raffle includes men and women and is having an impact on sponsors, but it’s going to take a more sustained effort to curb the new age of sexism. The mainstream media commentators are generally spinning any challenge as “ugly old women who are jealous”. This line is as old as the “men will be boys” justification. However, someone benefits from this behaviour. Ask yourself who?

30 thoughts on “Hot Ukrainian Husbands from Chernobyl?

1. Fortunately the police have now ceased their latest recruitment campaign. Unfortunately they didn’t have the sense to do so before it started.

2. While everyone criticises men for all this, don’t forget all the females that drool over the likes of Dan Carter and Richie McCaw. Indeed, these days for a man to have a shot with a “hot” female, they pretty much have to be one of these characters.

3. The criticism of men isn’t for being attracted to women, but for what they choose to do with that attraction. Men tend often to react more inappropriately compared to women and society has traditionally been tolerant. But the above is just as wrong when women do it.

4. What’s the half-life of these hot blokes (and chicks) can they keep my house warm as well as my bed? Will I need lights anymore, do they glow in the dark?

5. It is only because feminists have a default (irrational) distrust of all males that this is an issue.
    Do you think this will somehow spread like wildfire until all men are consumed by new wave sexism?

Guess what, most men think Veitch is a dickhead and this competition is tacky.

6. The only reason, Shunda? This kind of thing wouldn’t happen if only women would relax? Lolz, no wonder women are distrustful.

7. Shunda, your comment, “It is only because feminists have a default (irrational) distrust of all males that this is an issue,” is just plain wrong. You’re not only making assumptions, but generalising about women’s rights campaigners and invalidating our experiences with men. Why do you think people become feminists? Because they’re bored? A lot of us have suffered and witnessed abuse from men, and there’s a significant domestic violence problem in NZ. I don’t think you can comment on the ratio of men who support this kind of thing vs. think it’s tacky.

8. Regarding the Key’s interview with Veitch – I’m curious, did any of you complain when Paula Bennett said that she’d like Sonny Bill Williams on a desert island with her to “collect firewood and to look at”?

9. No, didn’t hear that one. Was she chatting at the time about men to a talk show host who’d nearly killed her husband?

10. Were you outraged about Key’s comments about Liz Hurley, Valis? And if so, are you equally outraged by the idea of another MP (Bennett) saying she’d like an aesthetically pleasing man-slave?

11. Did any of you complain when Paula Bennett said that she’d like Sonny Bill Williams on a desert island with her to “collect firewood and to look at”?

I think we were all probably too busy trying not to picture that one Adze.

12. Why do you think people become feminists? Because they’re bored? A lot of us have suffered and witnessed abuse from men, and there’s a significant domestic violence problem in NZ.

And I have seen a lot of good men suffering at the hands of women that can’t let it go (from a previous relationship).
    Seems that many women that suffer abuse are hell bent on becoming an abuser, there is no future in that.
    I think you need to realise that everybody gets abused from angry males and angry females

13. Time to ditch the gender specific nonsense and tackle the issues as to why NZ adults treat each other so poorly.

I can sympathise with this though it ignores a large power imbalance that exists. And one wonders why your first offering was so inconsistent with it.

14. @Valis: “Men tend often to react more inappropriately compared to women” — I hate sexism, whomever it is directed at. Generalisations like these are not helpful, unless you can back it up with facts.

@Shunda: “It is only because feminists have a default (irrational) distrust of all males that this is an issue” — I am a feminist and I am male. I am a feminist because I believe that people should be treated as equals and with respect, regardless of their gender. Please tell me how this makes me distrust all males (including myself I presume)?

15. Women and men may batter each other equally, though I’ve not seen evidence of that. But this post isn’t strictly about violence, so the comments stand.

And what’s changed since the 50’s? Were women less violent then?

16. @Valis: “Men tend often to react more inappropriately compared to women” — I hate sexism, whomever it is directed at. Generalisations like these are not helpful, unless you can back it up with facts.

Just my own anecdotal experience. For example, I can’t think of the number of office situations were I’ve seen sexist behaviour occur. Some indeed came from females (and often toward other females too), but the vast majority came from males. I would think there are stats to back this up, though I haven’t looked.

Shouldn’t screw with Sunda’s head like that!

17. Look up some statistics, it’s easy enough. Men are physically stronger and more physically aggressive than women, I really don’t know how you can argue about that when it’s one of the obvious facts of life. Anyway, the main problem with this competition is about the attitudes towards women it perpetuates. Just look at the picture of the woman with a bow and gift tag on her and her face scratched out. Sick.

18. I am a feminist and I am male. I am a feminist because I believe that people should be treated as equals and with respect, regardless of their gender. Please tell me how this makes me distrust all males (including myself I presume)?

You can call yourself what you like, but I also believe “that people should be treated as equals and with respect, regardless of their gender”, and I am not a feminist.

Oh, and self loathing is a common psychological disorder.

19. Were you outraged about Key’s comments about Liz Hurley, Valis?

No, but I was outraged that he’d have such a chat with Tony Veitch, including fantasies about Tiger Woods sex life. Context is important.

Like with Key, I’m not outraged simply by her fantasy, hence I asked about the context.

20. i’ve been a feminist for ages..

since way back when it was a chat-up line…

..eh..?

(having daughters helps…)

phil(whoar.co.nz)

21. @Shunda: “I think you are possibly confused, as “feminist” is by definition a word to describe gender specific activism.”

feminism
    noun /ˈfem.ɪ.nɪ.zəm/ [U]
    Definition: the belief that women should be allowed the same rights, power and opportunities as men and be treated in the same way, or the set of activities intended to achieve this state.

(source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/feminism )

22. Self-loathing and distrust are two different things.

I consider myself an equalist, rather than a feminist, because I don’t think either gender is superior. We have different strengths and weaknesses, and each deserve respect. However, that we live in a male dominated society with a power imbalance is indisputable. That sexism towards females is a bigger problem than sexism towards males is indisputable. That doesn’t mean men are bad. It means a significant amount of men have been negatively affected by a sick society, and are acting out, which is what men tend to do. Women tend to internalise things more. If it makes you feel better, women suffer a much higher rate of mental illness (even taking into account that men are less likely to seek help). Everyone has flaws, and denying them is pointless and makes you sound incredibly ego-driven.

23. Yes, it doesn’t help that feminists are stereotyped as being ugly old man-haters. Women only really want respect and equal opportunities. Matriarchy would be nice, but…

24. A few thoughts regarding this conversation – patriarchy is not gender specific, hence my view that Paula Bennett’s comments about the desert island firewood eye candy is equally pathetic.

But there is a qualitative difference in the economic and social power of women to objectify men against their will.

Lets start with gender pay equity and nonviolence and we’ll be better off.