12 Days of Christmas wraps up

Today is Day 12 of our mini ‘Twelve Days of Christmas’ campaign. Each day, Metiria and Catherine have highlighted issues relating to inequality and child wellbeing, and presented Green solutions to those issues.

Check it out day by day:

Day 1 – Introduction
Day 2 – Child poverty
Day 3 – Disability
Day 4 – Welfare reform
Day 5 – Housing
Day 6 – Child health
Day 7 – Fairness for workers
Day 8 – Keeping the bills down
Day 9 – Tax
Day 10 – Having a say
Day 11 – Hardship
Day 12 – Conclusion

Most of the solutions come from ‘Mind the Gap‘, our pre-Budget plan to reduce inequality. They’ve been costed and designed to reduce the gap between the haves and the have-nots, with maximum benefits for kids.

And for a bit of levity, check out Catherine’s humourous take on the classic Christmas carol – what John Key’s Government gave us this Christmas.

Have a wonderful, safe, happy festive season, and look after your kids!

10 thoughts on “12 Days of Christmas wraps up

1. Oh that’s original – attack the Greens for not being a single issue party, or attack the Greens for being a single issue party.

Let’s guess some on the right are concerned that Greens get over 5% of the vote and they have to hand out seats like Epsom to have any right wing coalition ally at all.

2. No need to get your green knickers in a twist. It just seems to me at election time you roll out the fancy pictures of our green environment and jump on that bandwagon. That is the problem I have.

The Greens are not a party based around the environment otherwise you would be happy to jump either way at coalition time. You are a left wing socialist party and that is good, New Zealand needs this kind of party in our system. It just seems to me that in order to get enough votes to get into government you wave that green flag.

As you said the yellow party do something similar.

3. No need to get your green knickers in a twist. It just seems to me at election time you roll out the fancy pictures of our green environment and jump on that bandwagon. That is the problem I have.

Your problem then is not paying attention, as this is not true.

The Greens are not a party based around the environment

This is also false, though it is true we are not based exclusively on the environment.

otherwise you would be happy to jump either way at coalition time.

The reason we are not exclusively an environment party is that we believe the environment cannot be adequately protected without addressing social issues as well. Neither of the big parties is environmentally focused (though Labour is a small amount better), while Labour is somewhat more socially focused, hence our traditional preference. We have at least shown this time via our MoU with National that we will work with either, but there is clearly much less common ground, which is why only five projects have been identified in two years.

4. Ozy Mandias

You have a problem with the Green’s for having concern for our environment? If we don’t have an environment we can all live in, we’re F U C K’d. It wont matter how much money you have. Does that put it into perspective for you?

Properly informing the community of one of the principles they stand for at election time is in fact appropriate. Just because they look better and have less enhancement to their photos than the other political parties is neither here nor there.

Do you have a similar problem with Nationals family focused electioneering, when they clearly put profits before people, putting the chains on families all over the country… or Acts say whatever you have to, to get into power “philosophy”? How about the horrendous negative political climate we had from the right wing when they put the boot into old Winny… Is that the kind of electioneering we can be proud of? I think not.

The only thing yellow around here is your argument.

5. Thank you Valis for you reply.
    I believe that economic issues have as much part to play as social issues in address the environmental issues that we have in New Zealand. The difficulty I believe is that many environmental issues are difficult to address economically, especially in the short term. Hope you get my drift.
    For me, I am put off voting for the Greens because of the social policies that you have. In my humble opinion you are a left wing party first and then an environmental party second. Become an environmental party only an dI might vote for you.

Dearest Todd.
    It is the season of goodwill… just relax. I have a concern that the greens focus on the environment when it suits them. Sure the greens can explain away at election time as is their obligation. But you would think that the ‘Green’ Party would include at least ONE environmental issue on their list of wishes this Christmas, it is not like we don’t have a shortage of issues to raise. Wouldn’t you have expected this Todd?

Yes I do have the same issue with National, especially within the education (see my latest post – http://ozymandiaswarning.com/john-key-and-anne-tolley-talk-education/) and health systems. They talk a good talk and will the next election because of it.

6. Thank you Valis for you reply.

S’alright.

Agree completely, as just about any Green would.

Perhaps, but not sure why that’s relevant in this context. Just about every issue we advocate for is difficult in some way, usually more because of political inertia than any other reason.

You’re welcome to your opinion, though it is demonstrably untrue. My opinion after knowing you for a few minutes is that your dislike of our social policies is large enough to blind you to any balance that exists.

Become an environmental party only an dI might vote for you.

I prefer to stick to my deeply held principles than have your vote.

No, and for the same reason that if we did a series on the environment, you would not be arguing that surely a party with social justice as one of its core principles should have included at least ONE of those issues. We cover both areas thoroughly. It is not necessary to always do so at the same time.

7. Ozy, if your only concern is really that the 12 days of Christmas campaign was focused on publicising the Mind the Gaps policy programme and did not include the environment – well the answer is that the electorate already knows the party position on environment issues.

Even those who only follow politics closely at election time already know the party position on the environment.

This was an opportunity to re-publicise the Mind the Gaps policy, which was developed since the last election.

Who knows there may be an environment policy focused campaign for the new year?

8. Oh and its also not so original for those who oppose (left wing) social policy activism to say they would support an environment based party if it was without a social conscience.

The thing is a party with a policy of not having a social conscience tends to attract support from those who exploit the environment for short term gain. Which is why there is no environment based party in the world that is not also concerned about the sorts of issues covered in the Mind the Gaps programme.

9. Your Twelve Days of Christmas makes some valid points and I especially agree with point Day 8 – Keeping the bills down. I believe it is a matter of priorities on whether or not anyone will keep the bills down. There are many things in life I could have personally chosen not to buy or credit cards I could have said no too, but it has been a lesson learned the hard way.