And a partridge in a pear tree

It’s day three of our ‘Twelve Days of Christmas’ campaign today. This isn’t really an official part of the campaign, but for your entertainment I’ve penned a wee ditty thanking John Key’s Government for all the lovely presents they got us this year.

Altogether now:

On the first day of Christmas, my Government gave to me… 1 week less holiday and a reduction in social equity.

On the second day of Christmas, my Government gave to me… 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a reduction in spending parity.

On the third day of Christmas, my Government gave to me… 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and an attack on justice equity.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my Government gave to me… foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a new breach of Te Tiriti.

On the fifth day of Xmas my Govt gave to me… 5 river deaths, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a toxic legacy.

On the sixth day of Christmas my Government gave to me… 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a denial of animal cruelty.

On the seventh day of Christmas my Government gave to me… 7 work tests and sanctions, 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a collapse of welfare equity.

On the eighth day of Christmas my Government gave to me… 8 free trade partners, 7 work tests and sanctions, 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a lockdown in national sovereignty.

On the ninth day of Christmas my Govt gave me to me… a 90 day sacking, 8 free trade partners, work tests and sanctions, 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a loss of workplace equity.

On the tenth day of Christmas my Govt gave to me… 10 plastic Hobbits, a 90 day sacking, 8 free trade partners, work tests and sanctions, 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a workforce as a casualty.

On the eleventh day of Christmas my Govt gave to me… 11th hour bailouts, 10 plastic Hobbits, a 90 day sacking, 8 free trade partners, work tests and sanctions, 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and a hand-out to corporate treachery.

On the twelth day of Xmas my Government gave to me… 12 hungry children, 11th hour bailouts, 10 plastic Hobbits, a 90 day sacking, 8 free trade partners, work tests and sanctions, 6 battery chickens, 5 dead rivers, foreshore confiscation, 3 strikes in prison, 2.5 percent more GST, 1 week less holiday, and some rhetoric about the economy.

10 thoughts on “And a partridge in a pear tree

1. 1 week less holiday

That is false – what we got was the option of cashing in a weeks holiday.

foreshore confiscation

Wasn’t that under Labour? Either way, I would rather have a situation where no-one can own the beach and anyone can access it than have the possibility of anyone being able to charge for access to the beach.

a 90 day sacking

What percentage of 90 day trials have actually resulted in a dismissal in the end? I would rather that than have employers being fearful of making a minor mistake in dismissing their employees for all the right reasons and being punished for it.

10 plastic Hobbits

If Actors Equity had not been screaming, then the Hobbit would have not needed a cent of taxpayers money to stay here.

2. And the day after Christmas we all wished we had a balanced budget instead of borrowing from our childrens children future to pay for our christmas follies.

3. @john-ston 3:56 PM

foreshore confiscation

Yes, the original abrogation of Maori property rights to the foreshore and seabed was under Labour.

That National attempts to entrench that with their latest Bill, supported by some but not all of the Maori Party, makes it even worse.

This matter should be left to the Courts to decide, or, alternatively, negotiated with Maori to get an agreed legislative response, rather than impose it, as National and Labour and (Hone Harawira excepted) the Maori Party are attempting to do.

National’s and Labour’s approach will leave this as a festering and racially divisive issue for many generations to come.

4. Catherine says “On the first day of Christmas, my Government gave to me… 1 week less holiday”

What utter nonsense.

Workers now have MORE choice than they used to.

Previously I have had workers build up leave they didn’t want to use.

Legally I had to force them to take the leave, even if they didn’t want it and would have much prefered cash.

So I broke the law, so my workers could do what THEY wanted.

And if you repeat a lie 12 times – it’s still a lie.

It seems you want to screw workers out of the right to choose.

5. And on Boxing Day we were all glad that NZL had a balanced budget so that we dont have to tighten our belts like

Ireland

—-
    Greece

—-
    Iceland

—-
    Spain

—-
    Portugal

—-
    Italy

—-

At least we are glad on boxing day that the government of the day forsaw to potential of too much borrowing causing strife, so it set into place austerity plans to balance the budget like

Czech

—-
    Japan

—-
    UK

We can be glad the government in NZL kept a balanced budget, instead of running its books like the out of control USA economy which kept printing money.

6. Paula Bennett asked me to sing this song in the House today – nice to know that she is a convert to the Green world view and I am going to write a blog for Paula inviting her down to the nearest foodbank to have a sing along with the happy people who love her policies.

7. Thank you Catherine I am going to hang that on our community notice board.

I have in front of me a submission form of the Welfare Working Group and I must say that it has a very narrow and biased focused.

One would think that it was drafted by an employer, like there are no questions like ‘What changes could be made to working conditions and pay rates to encourage beneficiaries into work?

A Well the answer is blatantly obvious isn’t it?

A red neck would have a field day on it.

8. Drakula says “Q3 “What changes do we need to the unemployment benefit to improve social and economic outcomes?

A Well the answer is blatantly obvious isn’t it?”

Yes it is. Prioritise spending money on your kids welfare instesad of alcohol, drugs, pokies, sky tv, V8 cars, and food for pit bulls.

It will still be hard, just like it is for the hard working people providing your money.

9. But Phutunz1, you direct yourself at the UBers. Tut, tut.
    Did not the Business Roundtable, that club of men whose least paid is about one million say to Ms Rebstock’s group that: Labour merket flexibility was allw e needed. By this they meant getting rid of the minimum wage andtime limiting benefits. In this way, we will have all the UB compete with those already inp aid work for the limited number of jobs that exist and somehow a miracle will occur (like Christmas 2,000 or so years ago) and not only will UB get below 5% (assuming the Reserve Bank – remember Don Brash, a mate of the BR if ever there was one, who was replaced by John Key – will let it incase we get price instability but poverty and deprivation will a thing of the past.
    Miracles will occur. Perhaps it already has, because the BR have not yet had complete victory.