One more down, a few thou to go

ERMA today followed the EU, US and Canada and revoked approvals for the herbicide methylarsinic acid (MSMA) in New Zealand. Good.

MSMA is an arsenic-based, persistent agrichemical used to control paspalum and kikuyu in fine turf. It has the potential to accumulate in the environment and to impact on human health….

Addition: Sue Kedgley tells me that she was one of the submitters. Good stuff Sue! She says that it comes hard on the heels of last year’s revocation of endosulfan. Do these suggest that ERMA is entering a new era of acutally doing it’s job?

Meanwhile, the UN is also taking steps to promote the elimination of poisonous chemicals at a major inter-governmental conference in Geneva.

The conference will break new ground in considering nine new chemicals for listing by the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs). They include substances which are widely used commercially, including as pesticides and flame retardants.

Until now, the Convention has targeted 12 hazardous pesticides and industrial chemicals known as the “dirty dozen,” which are linked with damage to human health, from cancer and reproductive disorders to the disruption of infant and child development.

So, one more down in NZ; but a few thou to go to achieve the Greens’ aim of keeping us safe from persistent, accumulative and highly toxic chemicals.

10 thoughts on “One more down, a few thou to go

1. “THEY say one picture is worth a thousand words. Well, cast your eyes over the above billboard and ask yourself: What are the Greens trying to say about Russel Norman and their party”
    “Look at us, says their advertising, see how we’ve changed. No longer are we the sort of people you might suspect of carrying a joint in their pockets, or having strange dietary habits. This is a very different party from the one that used to tear up GE crops and campaign for the decriminalisation of marijuana. Nowadays we’re just like you. We’re out to save the planet – but in a way that doesn’t pose a direct challenge to the system. Relax, it says, the Greens are no threat to your way of life.”
    “If I remember rightly, Nandor quoted scripture: “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul.”

God being Halie Sellase?

2. No, Sellase didn’t write the bible. Of course, neither did god.

Classic Trotter. I suppose he has to invent stuff to keep his columns interesting. The idea that Russel is a sell out is indeed amusing.

3. jh – do you really think Russel is Nandor with a haircut? And that with that trim, his soul departed? You too, should ‘have a cup of coffee with Trotter – you could share your delusions over a bitter latte.

4. God being Halie Sellase?
    No. On this blog, Frog is.
    Can we have another General Debate thread to get us through the weekend Frog? Better still, would you make it a general feature. It’s great to have a repository for off-topic musings. For example, where can we discuss the walkway? You know, the one Bill English said we couldn’t afford. :-)

5. It disappoints me to say this, but I think Chris Trotter has a point. I’ve voted Green in every election they have stood in, and in one I really did “vote for me”. Although then the Greens were a political party with real values we were not afraid to put on our billboards. Now it seems we are some sort of branding exercise with ‘brand values’. This might work if you are trying to get children to buy your flavoured sugar water instead of some other almost identical fizzy drink. But does it work for a political party? I’d suggest not. Most of us know just how deeply ‘brand values’ run.

The Greens got 6.8% of the vote in 1990, and have not made any gains since.

you could share your delusions over a bitter latte.

This is another trend I find disturbing. We used to say the Greens were a ‘house with many rooms’, a party of ideas, that valued inclusiveness, that would ‘play the ball’ not the person.

Now criticism is dismissed by smearing the critic.
    You don’t agree with S59? You’re in favour of child abuse.
    Concerned about the practicality of pay equity legislation? You’re a misogynist.
    Express doubts over some treaty issue? You’re a racist.
    Think the Ministry of Womans Affairs should talk to the Chamber of Commerce about, I don’t know, pay equity, perhaps? You’re too *inclusive*???
    What the hell is going on here?

Seeing this sort of thing on a blog here is one thing, but when it is coming from our MP’s, particularly possible future co-leaders, it is pretty unsettling – if only because not only are we adopting the techniques used by those who sell overpriced sneakers made in overseas sweatshops, we can’t even ‘manage the brand’ successfully.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

6. Hi Don, which post are you quoting from and responding too? Your comments don’t follow the thread above. Thanks.

7. Don – if I might respond to your comment (being quoted in it by you).

Some of the comments that are posted here by people who do not support the party are laced with criticisms (watermelons, Luddites, abandoned your principals etc). You’ll no doubt be aware of the main characters in that ‘play’. An inclusive party, or in this case, blog, would allow those people to have their say, and that is what happens here (I don’t recall anyone having been banned from commenting, as they regularly are on, for example, Kiwiblog. You may feel that simply ‘weathering the storm’ of provocative commentaries is the best way to deal with them, but others favour a more direct approach. I regard the banter as more good fun than ‘smearing the critic’. While you may disagree (I think you do), you’ll probably support the right of a person to approach the issue in their own way.
    I believe they still do. Sometimes though, a heartfelt message can ‘read’ stale with the voting public (Save the Whales!) and the ‘style’ needs to change with the audience. I’m not sure how you fmight feel that ‘Get more muscle..’ diminishes the Green’s core beliefs. To me, it’s humorous and fiesty. I like a Green who’s humorous and fiesty. I hope the voters of Mt Albert do too!