Permanent parliamentary recess

I’m reluctant to show this image in case people take it as an encouragement for more global warming. Nevertheless, from the artist who put together the controversial and artistic Green Party Matariki calendar, AJ Hunter, here’s an interpretation of Wellington in 2200 after climate change has returned the swampy pre-colonial shoreline to the steps of Parliament Buildings.

Permanent Recess

I can’t quite see Bowen House in this image, so perhaps my office will still be ok?

The image is part of an exhibition called The Edge of Time which Hunter is opening at Carterton’s Katz Gallery on 6 September.

Image credit: AJ Hunter

18 thoughts on “Permanent parliamentary recess

1. Nah, that’s not climate change, that’s evidence of the success of the Great Leap Backwards ;)

2. Who is this AJ Hunter chap?, is he a state sponsored “artist” or somebody who makes a living out of his work?

3. big bro – I realize you find hard to believe that anyone could possibly make a living out of ‘art’ but they do, lucky beggars – just imagine sitting at home all day bludging on YOUR taxes and selling silly sketches like this for thousands of dollars. Shameful !

4. bigbluekiwi

I have NO problem with those who make a living out of their “art”, good on them I say, if they can produce something that the public wants to purchase or pay to see performed then as a free market supporter I am right behind them.

What I am dead against is public (tax payer) funding for any “art” that cannot survive without handouts, this includes Opera, Ballet, what passes for modern art etc.

5. Well, if the taxpayer wants art funded, then art should be funded. Same goes with Sport.

Mind you, I agree with John Clarkes take on the Olympics – meaningless, nationalistic nonsense featuring young people running around without many clothes on :)

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…..

But if we’re going to fund that, simply because people find it enjoyable, then we should also fund art.

6. BP

Tell me how many of those sports would go out of existence if their pubic funding dried up?
    The answer is none, while our athletes may not perform as well at big events without the overseas experience or access to world class coaching their sports would still go on.

Contrast that with the demands of the “arts” world, who seem to think they have a god given right to tax payer funds so they can produce utter crap that very few want to watch, read or view.
    If you take away state funding for the symphony orchestra or the Royal NZ ballet they would close.

7. Art would continue. Most people involved in art now do so for the joy of it, and aren’t funded in any way.

However, we live in a democracy. If most people are happy funding the arts, or sport, through their taxes, then so be it.

8. Whatever happened to ‘we should pay bugger all tax so that people who want to support their pet hobby/interest can do so without bludging off others’?

9. Personally, *I* don’t think sport or art should be funded. If people value them, they’ll pay out of their own pockets.

10. I was expecting a bit more crankiness. The olympians *do* appear to NZ’s biggest beneficiaries.

11. Stephen

I agree, Chris Lewis (former NZ Tennis No1) is of the opinion that sport should receive no funding.

There is an argument for state funding of sport as a way of fighting child obesity however I am not yet convinced that child obesity is best fought any other way than by better parenting.

12. I get the feeling we both read a certain other blog from time to time…However, my feeling is that a lot of the population in this democracy would support continued funding of the athletes (as well as a shake up of those six-figure salaries eh?).

13. If public funding stopped for the arts they would have to survive or die. I believe many of the programs that figured out how to market themselves would survive fine. When you’re giving a program a handout you are reinforcing the problem. Thrive or die I say.

In tennis they call ZERO points love, because if you can’t score any points (or money), you must love the game to keep playing it. Artists should find a way to earn a living at what they do. How about the guy that etches sculptures from plant seeds and sells them. Art, but also a ecofriendly business.