Why hide your sound system in a car?

Pimip My bike sound system

From Treehugger:

Now that fuel is so expensive, a kid can’t cruise the streets in his car with the sound system turned up so high that the road vibrates. Instead, a group of Trinidadian teenagers in Queens are customizing their BMX bikes.

Hmm, I’m not sure this would work in Wellington without some sort of rain and wind-shelter as well? But it would definitely liven up Featherston St. I wonder if they can get their bikes to generate power for the sound systems. Anyway, here’s the video:

12 thoughts on “Why hide your sound system in a car?

1. O Tautahi/Christchurch would need to widen its already-well-used bike lanes to accommodate such “Super-Surround-Sound cyclists” .

That, plus the frequent BigRedBuses that frequent our streets, could well create mayhem.

Perhaps we could consider adding such a sound system to the roof of each BigRedBus instead?

2. Or we could recognise citizens rights to be free from noise pollution………but that’s not a Green Party principle (strangely).

3. When ever I see a boy-racer I get a desire to fire a rocket propelled grenade or air-burst shot into the car, I refrain from doing so because it has the potential to land me with jail time and I do not have those weapons, though me doing so could be classified as community service.
    I look at these new cyclists approvingly however; they are much more susceptable to small arms fire, even if it is juut BB’s and rocks, and think of the damage a hose could do, lol.

4. Speaking of boy racers, that was another Values versus Marxism win for Marxism in so far as the Greens got paranoid about the state power factor involved in the confiscation of boy racers cars. :mad:

5. having said those two words tho – i think its GREAT that they’re getting about on bikes instead of cars with amplified exhaust systems – GOOD ON THEM . shame they don’t spend the money they’ve put into those speakers on an ipod though + keep their noise to themselves

6. # jh Says:
    August 16th, 2008 at 5:36 am

> Speaking of boy racers, that was another Values versus Marxism win for Marxism in so far as the Greens got paranoid about the state power factor involved in the confiscation of boy racers cars. :mad:

I have two questions about this:
    (1) did the Green party block some law about confiscating boy racers’ cars? I haven’t heard about it. maybe someone told me, but I couldn’t hear because of the bl**dy din outside my window.
    (2) Since when has Marxism been concerned to limit state power?

7. lol, true marxism and communism are quite different, Marx is highly skeptical of the state to say the least and views it as one of the many tools of the bourgious to keep them up and the prolateriate down. In my opinion real marxism is more like anarcho-syndicalism with some added paranoia than any of the so called ‘communist’ states so far.

8. One thing that I sometimes ponder is …

In about 40 years time, how will Society cope with a whole generation of Oldies who are DEAF because of the noise levels they subjected themselves to in their youth?

9. (2) Since when has Marxism been concerned to limit state power?

I can’t remember where I got that idea from: the link between power, civil liberties and Marxism…. I may have read it in relation to race… (only the dominant group can be racist?).

10. jh,

I’m no Marxist, an anarchist actually but this illustrates that at least in theory, Marxism was concerned with not only limiting, but actually dissolving State power, though unfortunately neither Trotsky, Lenin, nor Stalin who were the ones to originally put Marx’s theory into practice, appeared not to have read about the dissolution of the State.

“The state was the official representative of society as a whole, the gathering of it together into a visible embodiment. But it was this only in so far as it was the state of that class which itself represented, for the time being, society as a whole: in ancient times, the state of slave-owning citizens; in the Middle Ages, the feudal lords; in our own time, the bourgeoisie. When at last it becomes the real representative of the whole of society, it renders itself unnecessary.”
    Friedrich Engels

11. lol sapient got in & said it first for me.

this move is to be applauded, it’s relatively easy to shove a stick through the wheels as they cruise past